How to import a list of clients from a CSV file
You can add many clients with few steps without having to enter every client manually to the system by using the importing function. You can import the “Client Number“, “Email“, “Business Name“, “First Name“, “Last Name“, “Telephone“, “Street Address 1“, “Street Address 2“, “City“, “State“, “Postal Code” and “Country“. The” Business Name” field is mandatory and you can choose to add or not to add any of the other fields. The “Email“, “Client Number” and “Business Name” fields must be unique so you can’t add the same email in two or more cells.
To start importing a list of clients follow these steps:
- Only CSV files / Text files (Comma Separated, Tab Delimited, Column separated can be import).
- If you have any other file type you will need to open using an intermediate application, such as “Microsoft Excel” and save as CSV and import into the system.
- You can use the import function to quickly add your data in a spread-sheet and import into the system, here we explain how to import data using Microsoft Excel software.
- Open the Excel program
- In the first row add the fields you want to import (for example: ) “Client Number“, “Email“, “Business Name“, “First Name“, “Last Name“, “Telephone“, “Street Address 1” and “Country“.
- The field that must be filled out is the “Business Name” so you can just add one column with the “Business Name” and all the extra fields like “Email“, “First Name“, “Last Name” etc. are optional.
- Under every cell fill in all the client’s details as in this images.
- When adding a country only add the short code for the country or the full name.
- After you have added all your items save the Excel file as CSV (Comma delimited).
- Login to your online invoices system.
- From “Clients” menu choose “Manage Clients“.
- Click the “Import” button in the top right corner.
The importing wizard will start. Step 1 Import Options :
- Choose the file to import (the CSV file we previously saved).
- From the Delimiters section choose “Comma Separated“.
- Click the “Import First Row” check box. If your file contains field labels in the first row don’t tick this box. In our case we will not tick the box.
Step 2: (Fields Mapping)
- In this step we will tell the system where the data is so the system can add it.
- The “System Field” column: This column shows what fields in the system you may import data into; “*” means that this field must be filled and “Chain icon” means that this field is unique (i.e. if you have checked the “Updated existing client with new data” check box and there was a record that contains the same field value it will update this record with the new imported record. If you didn’t check the “Updated existing client with new data” check box and there was a record with the same data it will ignore importing it and give you errors for this record.).
- The “Corresponding Field in File” column: Each drop-down in this column shows all column headers in your file; please select the equivalent column in your file for each system column (only system fields with “*” are required to have an equivalent selected field).
- In our case we only added new clients and selected a corresponding field in the file for each system field as seen in the above image, and we left the “Updated existed client with new data” check box unchecked as we are only adding new data.
- Click the “Import” button.
Step 3: (Importing)
- The system will take a few seconds to import the fields and save them.
- Go back to the “Manage Clients” page to check the imported items.
Contact us if you have an issue or more questions.